As anyone who suffers from back pain can tell you, the mattress on which you sleep makes all the difference. Most people who suffer with back problems, such as herniated disks or sciatica, understand the frustration of laying down on a bed that feels wonderful at first, but within minutes the back pain begins to flare up. There goes your good night’s sleep.
Most times the problem is the type of mattress you’re using. What do you do if you can’t afford to replace the mattress, a potentially expensive proposition? Consider a mattress topper. There are five types that are the most popular:
- Memory foam topper. This is the most popular type of topper. It is generally most effective at improving comfort. It can trap heat and may give off an odor when first used.
- Feather (Bed) topper. Effective in softening a firm mattress, and is light weight. It may need frequent fluffing or shaking to maintain its loft. Feathers may occasionally poke through the cover. Has to be dry cleaned.
- Latex topper. Can effect mattress by making it firmer or softer and generally provides above-average pain relief. May have odor when new and retain heat somewhat. These are more expensive than other toppers. This type of topper may be more difficult to find.
- Fiber (Bed)/down alternative mattress topper. Works well to soften a firm mattress. Low allergen potential and little to no odor. These are usually lower in price than others. May be too thin for some needs. Requires fluffing/shaking at times to maintain loft.
- Wool pad-toppers. Can soften a firm mattress. Remains fairly cool and dry in summer, and warm in winter. Provides inconsistent cushioning. May have an initial “barnyard” odor. Needs regular shaking / fluffing.
The type of mattress cover that works best for your individual needs is the type that you should invest in. The specific brands that are most often recommended, based on consumer reviews, are as follows:
- Visco Elastic Memory Foam. Queen size, 3 inch thick with 4 pound density, this topper stands above the others because of its extra supportive memory foam. Reduction in pressure points enhances the sleep quality. Initial odor dissipates after a few weeks.
- Sleep Innovations 4-inch dual layer mattress topper. Works great to improve circulation and decrease back and pressure point pain. Tends to be on the firm side, so testing is recommended before purchasing.
- Sleep Joy 3 inch ViscO2 Ventilated Memory Foam mattress topper. The eco-friendly design uses plant-based ingredients without giving up quality or comfort. May be a little too soft for some.
- LUCID 3 inch Memory Foam mattress topper. This topper is popular due to its resistance to dust mites and other allergens. The open cell technology gives it lasting memory in its foam. The strong chemical smell when first used will dissipate in a couple of days. Costs more but includes 3-year warranty.
- 3.3 Cloud9 Queen 3 inch 100% Visco Elastic Memory Foam mattress topper. Molds to the shape of your body. Needs to be aired out a little at first.