When you’re shopping for a new paint sprayer in 2016, you will come across several brands. Two of the most best paint sprayer brands are Wagner and Graco.
How do you know which one is best brand for you ?
I will help you determine that by providing you with my honest reviews of each brand and also provide you with some product reviews for each brand.
- Wagner Paint Sprayer
- Graco Paint Sprayer
- Best Paint Sprayers for Beginners and DIYers
- Best Paint Sprayers for Small-to-Midsize Household Projects
- Wagner & Graco | Which one is best brand for you ?
Wagner Paint Sprayer
Wagner has been providing consumers with paint sprayers and accessories for more than 20 years. They take a lot of pride in their innovative technology, including the iSpray nozzle, turbines and powerful motors. The strengths of the company are giving the customer a quality product at a reasonable price. Wagner understands that not every person is a professional painter, so they offer a wide variety of products to fit every skill level.
Most Wagner paint sprayer include a one-year warranty in case of defective pieces or complete units. The customer service department is known for being very good and either providing replacement parts or replacing the entire unit if it falls under the warranty. But with technology constantly improving, the parts may not always be available on older models, so you may not be able to get replacements if you need to.
Graco Paint Sprayer
Graco has been in business since 1926, so you know you will be getting a quality product every time it has their name on it. What sets them apart from the competition is the focus on highly engineered products that are built to last. Whether you are a single homeowner or a commercial painter, you will feel confident knowing that your Graco paint sprayer will be reliable and durable enough to last several years in most cases.
In addition to their quality products, the Graco customer service department is second-to-none. If you ever have a problem with your new paint sprayer within the standard one-year warranty period, just give them a call and they will send you a replacement part or replace the entire unit if needed. Graco has service centers throughout the world, so it is easy to find one when you need to get a replacement part quickly. It’s that type of customer service that puts Graco at the top of the industry. Commercial and residential painters alike can appreciate the quality of the company all the way from the products to the actual people helping you out.
Best Paint Sprayers for Beginners and DIYers
#1. Wagner Flexio 890 Review – Best Wagner HVLP Paint Sprayer
Wagner excels at making household projects fun, and this paint sprayer is a perfect example of that. It’s very easy to use, so beginners and people like me who just like to do random DIY painting projects around the house will love it.
Some of the main features of the Wagner Flexio 890 HVLP Paint Sprayer Station that I really like include:
- The innovative iSpray nozzle to help with covering broad surfaces
- The detail finish nozzle which allows you to complete any painting job without having to get a paintbrush to touch up
- The adjustable spray pattern, material flow and air pattern can all be changed in the handle, so you’ll never have to interrupt your painting job to go to the base of the sprayer
- The powerful X-Boost turbine gives it a little extra power for spraying any types of paints, even if they are unthinned
- The 11 ½’ air hose provides you with a total of 23’ of work space
- The handle and paint cup weigh just 1 ½ pounds, so you won’t be straining yourself as you work
- The wide capacity gives you the ability to spray up to 8.4 gallons of paint per hour and can cover an 8’x10’ wall with paint in less than 10 minutes
When you use this sprayer for the first time, you’ll understand why so many people give it positive reviews. It will give anything a smooth finish that resembles a paint roller, but it will take you much less time and create less mess. When I use this paint sprayer, I always have time to do other projects at home since painting doesn’t take as long as it normally would with the standard roller and paintbrush !
#2. Graco Project Painter Plus Review – Best Graco Airless Paint Sprayer
This Graco paint sprayer is ideal for the beginner and DIYer because of its ease of use and versatility, among other reasons. Graco is widely known as one of the best manufacturers of paint sprayers, and this is one of the best ones if you’re on a budget and just want one for doing small projects at your house.
Here are some of the great features that the Graco Project Painter Plus offers:
- The flexible suction tube allows you to spray directly from a one-gallon or five-gallon paint container, depending on the size of the project you’re completing
- The adjustable pressure control is very user-friendly to change from high to low pressure spraying
- The compact design with the pail hook makes it easy to be carried and stored without hassle
- The Reverse-A-Clean Spray Tip can help you quickly clean and unclog any materials in the spray gun
- The clean-up is easy overall with the power flush adapter that conveniently connects to a garden hose
- It sprays many different types of paints like stains, acrylics and heavy latex (excluding block filler, solvent-based lacquer, asphalt and texture-filled materials)
When I used this sprayer outside on my shop’s exterior walls, I quickly realized that this was much easier than using a paint roller. It gave my shop a smooth finish and I was able to complete the job quickly because of the long hose that it’s equipped with. This is a best paint sprayer for a beginner that needs to paint large surfaces.
Comparing the Wagner Flexio 890 and the Graco Project Painter Plus
- If you’re like me and need a paint sprayer for larger objects like fences, shops, patios and other similar structures, then the Graco Project Painter Plus is the way to go because of the longer hose that it’s equipped with.
- If you just need a paint sprayer for painting interior rooms and other smaller objects like furniture, then the Wagner Flexio 890 HVLP Paint Sprayer Station is a quality sprayer that will help you complete your small DIY projects with ease.
Best Paint Sprayers for Small-to-Midsize Household Projects
#1. Graco Magnum X5 Stand Review – Best Graco Airless Paint Sprayer
Sometimes you will have larger projects to complete that may require a little more power than just a handheld paint sprayer. I came across that issue, but then I found the Graco Magnum 262800 X5 Stand Airless Paint Sprayer and my problems were solved! Here is why I think this airless paint sprayer is one of the best on the market:
- The PushPrime feature is probably my favorite since it is very easy to start up the machine and begin painting without any hassles
- The adjustable pressure control makes it simple when you have to switch to different surfaces to paint on without interrupting your work flow too much
- Depending on the size of your project, the flexible suction tube allows you to spray directly from a one-gallon or five-gallon paint container and sprays at a rate of .27 gallons per minute
- The Reverse-A-Clean Spray Tip will quickly and easily clear out any paint clogs
- The Power Flush feature allows you to connect the machine to a garden hose for quick and easy clean up
- You can spray a wide variety of coats, including stains, acrylics and heavy latex (excluding block filler, solvent-based lacquer, asphalt and texture-filled materials)
In my opinion, this is the best paint sprayer for spraying fences, decks, patios, large furniture and other small-to-medium surfaces. I’ve used it for several small projects and the results came out better than a paintbrush and roller every time!
#2. Wagner ProCoat Stand Review – Best Wagner Airless Paint Sprayer
If you only have occasional painting projects that are small-to-medium size, then the Wagner 0515034 ProCoat Stand Airless Paint Sprayer is definitely one to consider. I have found out that it’s not designed for daily use for large projects, so if that’s what you need, then you’ll need to buy a more expensive airless paint sprayer. But if you just have a few projects around the house that you need to do, then this sprayer has just the right amount of features you need to get the job done.
- The variable pressure selector gives you the ability to adjust the pressure based on the size of the project and the type of coat you are applying
- It can spray a one-gallon paint container in about five minutes and is suitable for stains, sealers, oil-based paints and thick latex
- The commercial-grade metal spray tip is durable and it comes with a 515 reversible tip to provide you with a smooth finish
- The 25’ hose gives you a total of 50’ of work space for completing larger areas like fences and exterior walls
- The 2,800psi electric piston pump has a ½-horsepower motor, which is enough to paint the entire exterior of a house with ease
In general, as long as you use this paint sprayer for what it’s designed to do, then you will be pleased with it. I only have a few painting projects that I do each month and it has worked perfectly for me. If that’s what you need a paint sprayer for, then you can’t go wrong with the Wagner 0515034 ProCoat Stand Airless Paint Sprayer.
Comparing the Wagner ProCoat Stand and the Graco Magnum X5 Stand
It’s clear that most people prefer the Graco. From the sprayer pressure to the types of paints and the ease of use, the Graco Magnum X5 Stand Airless Paint Sprayer is one of the best on the market when it comes to paint sprayers for small-to-midsize painting projects.
Wagner & Graco | Which one is best brand for you ?
I agree with many other customer reviews that the Graco brand outperforms Wagner in many areas. That doesn’t mean that the Wagner brand is poor, but it just means that I prefer Graco for my painting jobs.
If you are just starting out and have never used a paint sprayer before, then do yourself a favor and buy the Graco 257025 Project Painter Plus. This paint sprayer is extremely easy to use and can make a beginner look like a professional on smaller painting jobs.
If you’ve used a paint sprayer before, or if you are handy enough to immediately buy a larger airless paint sprayer for small-to-medium sized projects, then I recommend the Graco Magnum 262800 X5 Stand Airless Paint Sprayer more than any other product.
I’ve used both of these Graco paint sprayers for a variety of projects at my house and they have both outperformed their Wagner counterparts in terms of the overall ease of use and the quality results.
So when you’re looking at purchasing a best paint sprayer, your immediate thought should be the Graco brand. Depending on your needs, the Graco 257025 Project Painter Plus and the Graco Magnum 262800 X5 Stand Airless Paint Sprayer are two of the best ones that I’ve used, so don’t waste any more time and buy the perfect paint sprayer for you today!